The BCA Playwright Residency is designed to support rising playwrights by providing office space, rehearsal and performance space, marketing support, professional mentorship, access to community partnerships and workshops, and a platform for creating and producing innovative work.
In addition, this residency is designed to cater to each individual artist’s needs and help further their creative process. The playwright must create a new work while in residency.
Program applications are evaluated based on an artist’s demonstration of the following 5 pillars:
- Experimentation – Does the artist’s practice display innovation, openness to new ideas, perspectives and techniques?
- Responsiveness – Is the artist’s work relevant, topical, in dialogue with issues of contemporary interest?
- Balance – Does the artist think holistically about the relationship between art and life?
- Community Engagement – Does the artist demonstrate a willingness and aptitude for significant give and take exchange among colleagues and audience?
- Potential Impact – How does the artist articulate the impact of access to their artistic career?
We are looking for playwrights who:
- Are committed to incubating a new work
- Have written a complete work (short or full length play)
- Interested in presenting their work at a final staged reading at the end of the residency
- Playwrights local to Boston and surrounding areas
2022–2023 BCA Playwright Residents
The application cycle for the Playwright Residency is currently closed. Applications are not being accepted at this time.
If you have any questions, please reach out to Michaila Cowie, Associate Director of Theatre Arts at Michaila@bostonarts.org