Production Manager, Cyclorama
The Cyclorama Production Manager oversees the execution and production of events on the BCA campus, with most work focusing on the Cyclorama. As a person with extensive knowledge of event technical production and venue management, the manager will supervise and provide consultation on the technical and logistical elements that make an event succeed. The manager shall demonstrate outstanding customer service skills and the ability to successfully problem-solve. The manager works closely with the Cyclorama sales team to ensure client satisfaction and repeat business.
Within the Operations Department, the Cyclorama Production Manager works with members of the operations and artistic staff on the production of internal events in all BCA venues. The manager is responsible for scheduling, managing and mentoring part-time event staff. This position requires flexible scheduling, including evenings and weekends, and the ability to lift, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, reach, grasp, push and pull.
Duties and responsibilities
The duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Organizing events at a roadhouse style venue.
- Serving as the venue manager for the Cyclorama.
- Overseeing the technical and logistical elements of events in the Cyclorama. This work may involve lifting, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, grasping, pushing, and pulling.
- Recruiting, managing, and training part-time event staff in the knowledge necessary for working events on the BCA campus.
- Scheduling and managing event security.
- Oversee and coordinate cleaning and maintenance needs for the Cyclorama.
- Maintaining the safety, security, and functionality of the Cyclorama including safety equipment, procedures, policies, crowd management, evacuation training, and other physical needs to present a professional public venue. Knowledge of OSHA laws and guidelines is expected and may be part of on-the-job training.
- Providing production support for events, exhibitions and maintenance in all BCA spaces. This may include painting, cleaning, building and maintaining.
- Assisting to ensure safe maintenance of all public spaces.
- Attend meetings and serve on teams, as assigned.
- Assisting with facilities department as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree with a specialty area in technical production or significant professional experience related to venue technical operations or production management.
RELATED EXPERIENCE: The successful candidate will have: ability to work independently and creatively; skills in theatrical lighting installation and repair, electrical distribution, technical production, floorplan drafting, carpentry, and general maintenance of a professional venue; strong communication skills; experience managing and delegating to others; experience working in a collaborative environment; ability to multi-task successfully; experience working with the Microsoft Office Suite; excellent organizational skills; an ability to maintain the highest professional ethics at all times.
Persons with fluency in both English and one other language are strongly encouraged to apply.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, sit, bend and stoop; use hands to operate objects, tools, and/or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch and/or crawl; talk and/or hear; taste and/or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. Employee must have ability to work in outdoor and indoor work environments.
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume/CV, and the names of three (3) relevant references (electronic submissions preferred) to:
Phyllis Y Smith, BCA Director of Venue Operations
Boston Center for the Arts
539 Tremont Street, Boston, MA 02116
References will not be contacted without permission of the applicant.