Open Call for performing artists to be a part of the BCA #HellaBlack Live MixTape Vol. 5: Soul event!
This year we are looking for rising artists from the Black, African, African American, Afro Caribbean and Afro Latine diaspora to join us for this edition of #HellaBlack Live Mixtape Vo. 5: Soul curated by Dwayne P. Mitchell!
Application deadline: January 23, 2023
Notification on January 30, 2023
Show date March 2, 2023
Specifically we are looking for: singers, rappers, poets, dancers, musicians, and interdisciplinary artists.
We are looking for artists who are:
- Local to Boston or the Boston Metro Area
- Prepared to present a 10–12 minute performance-based set
- Able to attend all performances/sound checks/rehearsals
BCA will provide:
- Stipends for each individual artist and/or group
- Green room and dressing room space
- Access to the space during the week for spacing and rehearsal needs (during BCA hours)
- Basic lighting and sound (in most cases we are not able to accommodate specific lighting requests)
If you have any questions — please email Michaila Cowie, Associate Director of Theatre Arts at Michaila@bostonarts.org.
About the Curator
Dwayne P. Mitchell
Dwayne P. Mitchell (he/him) is an award-winning artist, activist, and actor; committed to creating space and opportunity for young black artists and creators of color in every area of the arts. He has degrees from the Historically Black institution, Fisk University (B.A. Music), and from the Boston Conservatory at Berklee (M.F.A. Musical Theatre). Dwayne has performed nationally and internationally, and is currently starring as ‘Dennis Edwards’ in the First National Tour of Broadway‘s Tony award-winning musical Ain’t Too Proud: The Life and Times of the Temptations. Having lived, worked, served, and taught in the Boston community, he is honored to reunite with this community’s network of black creators as an artist and for #HellaBlack Live MixTape Volume 5: Soul.