Photo by Melissa Blackall | James Montford in his studio, 2015
James Montford hosts a discussion inviting artists and art enthusiasts to talk about their experiences and ideas on the subject of Identity in Art.
- How have you come to understand facets of your own identity, including gender, race, ethnicity and sexuality – and what role has art played in this process?
- Do you address identity in your art?
- How do images affect the ways you identify yourself, and how you see yourself in relation to others?
- Describe a time when you felt painfully aware or uncomfortable in your identity.
- Describe a situation when you realized you felt vulnerable because of your identity.
- Describe a time when you felt powerful because of your identity.
- How do you feel about national protests around race, poverty and power in America today?