BCA’s Future Forward campaign is right on track as we close in on the final weeks.
Over the course of 2021, in our efforts to recover and rebuild from the devastating effects of COVID, we are excited to report that have nearly reached our overall goal of $300,000 to explore lasting and substantive investments in our artists, staff, and spaces, ensuring that BCA can continue to amplify and celebrate Boston’s unique artistic voices far into the future.
Although BCA continues to be deeply impacted by the loss of rental revenue, thanks to the support of state and federal relief funding and funds raised in this campaign we have:
- Released more than $70,000 in artist and designer payments for virtual programs and residencies;
- Seen the successful launch of ACTivate, a new short-duration, site-responsive residency transforming the Cyclorama into an art-making space for BIPOC artists of all disciplines;
- Realized the long-awaited expansion of our BCA Studio Residency, designed to increase equitable access to our studio spaces, and serve a more diverse cohort of artists;
- Took the crucial next step in our commitment to racial equity, in partnership with the Steward Cultural Development Group, and continuing to focus on mitigation of race- and identity-based inequities within our organizational culture;
- Seen exciting new growth in a new membership program designed on the principles of equity, transparency, and inclusion;
- Launch our 1:1 Curatorial Initiative exhibition model in the Mills Gallery, offering solo exhibitions for artists who are without representation or working in experimental new forms, with two incredible artist/curator teams already in 2021;
- Improved tech needs for live streaming for our artist residents;
- Invested in accessibility functions and features for online performance programs, exhibitions, and website;
- Are hiring nine new full-time staff;
- Beginning to reimagine the Cyclorama as an artist resource;
- Responded to the current needs of Boston-area artists by providing deeply subsidized – and safe – work, rehearsal, and performance spaces; residency opportunities focused on the creation of new art; professional development opportunities; and so much more.
Together with the artists we serve, there is never a shortage of impassioned, dynamic, and groundbreaking new ideas to share.
We need your support to make these visions a reality.
With just $100,000 left to raise, your support of our Future Forward campaign before December 31 will provide funds allowing BCA to more effectively serve the Boston area artist community and expand our robust campus residencies for the future.
Plans for the next artistic season include:
- Double the total number of artist residency opportunities through:
- 15 new studio residencies;
- 10-12 project-based residencies;
- 5 short-duration, site-responsive residencies in the Cyclorama;
- Continue to prioritize support for artists from BIPOC, queer, immigrant, and other communities historically unsupported by established art institutions;
- Present new community-based events and programs that connect artists to audiences;
- Formalize our commitment to a multi-year equity and anti-racism initiative through our ongoing partnership with Steward Cultural Development Group.