Your generosity helps fuel the innovative and creative community at BCA.
BCA has weathered the past year and is recovering. Throughout the past year we have adapted, rising to the challenges of supporting artists and art-making in the face of a global pandemic.
Your gift today supports the Future Forward campaign, an ambitious drive that is strengthening our recovery period and fortifying our resources to return to in-person experiences.
Plans for the next artistic season include:
- Collaborate with other Boston organizations to develop a reopening plan for performing spaces that prioritizes the safety of artists, performers, audiences, and staff
- Double the total number of artist residency opportunities through:
- 15 new studio residencies
- 10-12 project-based residencies
- 5 short-duration, site-responsive residencies in the Cyclorama
- Prioritize support for artists from BIPOC, queer, immigrant, and other communities traditionally unsupported by larger institutions in Boston
- Pilot a new 1:1 exhibition model in the Mills Gallery, offering solo exhibitions for artists who are without representation or working in experimental new forms
- Present new community-based events and programs that connect artists to audiences
- Formalize our commitment to a multi-year equity and anti-racism initiative through a new partnership with Steward Cultural Development Group
Although BCA was deeply impacted by the closure of all public spaces, since March 2020 we have:
- Released more than $40,000 in artist and designer payments for virtual programs and residencies
- Launched a racial equity initiative, beginning with all white staff participating in the CELC program [link], and continuing to focus on mitigation of race- and identity-based inequities within our organizational culture
- Increased individual giving by more than 40% and debuted a new membership program designed on the principles of equity, transparency, and inclusion
- Responded to the current needs of Boston-area artists by providing deeply subsidized – and safe – work, rehearsal, and performance spaces; residency opportunities focused on the creation of new art; professional development opportunities; and so much more…
- Improved tech needs for live streaming for residents and renters
- Invested in accessibility functions and features for online performance programs, exhibitions, and website